16 August 2009

Ultimate Genealogy Goal ?

My friend & cousin, Carol, over at Reflections From The Fence blogged about this last night - Evidently Randy Seaver over at Geneamusings posted this on his blog and she & I thought it was quite interesting. How would you answer these questions?

:1What is your UGG - your "Ultimate Genealogy Goal" for the genealogy research that you wish to leave to your heirs, descendants and the genealogy community?
Personally my UGG would be to make sure that I leave behind the most well documented family history that I can for my children & grandchildren to have. Making sure that my work is as correct & thorough as it can be. I'd like to finish my work on a few lines, figure out exactly what happened to a few MIA's that I have as well.

How long do you think you have have left to fulfill this ultimate goal?
If I am really lucky maybe 30 years? It is beyond my control so I make the best of every opportunity to work on my projects knowing I am only promised this minute.

Are you prioritizing your time adequately in order to achieve this goal?
Most of the time I think I am, but I have days when I doubt it. Family - husband, children & grandchildren do have a tendancy to take priority, but at this age most of them, excluding grandchildren are pretty self-sufficient. But I am working on it!

If not, what should you do to achieve the goal?
I don't think my goal is unrealistic, I want documented, thorough research so that my descendants know that it is correct. So achieving this goal I do not feel is out of reach. Everytime I source something, everytime I photograph a headstone I get a bit closer to my goal. Life goes on, I can't put my life on hold - stop traveling with Mark, or spending time with my family in order to guarentee that this goal will happen, but I can work every day towards my goal and hope for the best.

Will you do what you need to do?
Everytime I sit down at this keyboard I do what I have to do - keep sourcing - keep documenting - keep digging! So yes, I will do what I need to do...

How about you? What would your answers be to the UGG challenge????

Happy Researching!

Karen

2 comments:

Bill West said...

Good response, Karen. I enjoyed reading it!
Bill

PersistenceUnlimited said...

In order to achieve any goal, one must think positively. Then be realistic with your goals by writing down steps that you can do within a given time frame. Be dedicated and don't let distractions worn you down.

______________
Goal Setting Tips