Follow Me on Pinterest
Follow miprofgenie on Twitter

17 March 2011

Happy St. Patricks Day - The Regan Family (Ireland to Virginia)

In honor of St. Patrick's Day I thought I would share a bit on my early "Irish" ancestors - the Regain's of Surry County, Virginia. 

Rumor has it, I have not done any research in Ireland on this family, that Daniel Regan was born in "County Cork, Ireland" in the year 1626.  Mind you I've no documentation on this.  Daniel is married to Elizabeth Wilson, whose birthplace is unknown to this compiler at this time. 

Daniel and Elizabeth are the parents of 5 children, Francis (my ancestor) who marries Jane Gross, Daniel (who marries Ann), John, Elizabeth and Jeremiah.    All of the children born between 1662-1682 in Surry County, Virginia.  If you find you have ties to this family, or if you have information to share, I'd love to hear from you.  Please leave a comment below or email me at karen at miprofgenie dot com.  I'd love to hear from you.

Daniel signed a will on the 2nd of Nov 1686 - (Will typed as shown in original document)
     In the name of God, Amen.
I Daniell Regan being sick and weak of body, but having my perfect senses and memory do make this my Last Will and Testament. Whensoever it shall please God to take me out of this mortal life, I bequeath my soul to God my Creator trusting in the alone Merits of Jesus Christ my Savior and Redeemer trusting in sure and certain hope of resurrection at the last day. And my body to the earth from whence it came to be decently entered. And for what worldly estate hath pleased God to prosper me with all it is my will and desire that it be disposed of as followeth:

Imprimis: I do give unto my eldest son Francis seventy acres of land including my plantation after ye decease of his mother. But further it is my desire if in case that my wife and my said son cannot agree in living together, that then my said plantation and ye parcel of land that I have assigned to it may be equally divided between them and my wife to have her first choice.

Secondly, I do give unto my son Daniell fifty acres of land adjoining unto the land of Francis Sowersby when he comes to the age of eighteen years.

Thirdly, I do give unto my son Jeremiah fifty acres of land next adjoining to my son Daniell's land.

Fourthly, I do give unto my son John fifty acres of land next adjoining to the land I have given my son Francis.

Fifthly, I do give unto my son Daniell my mare called by the name of Roase and the first filly that the said mare brings, I do give unto my son Jeremiah.

Sixthly, I do give unto my son John a mare filly that I now have of six months old. Seventhly, it is my desire that my old mare and all the increase that she shall bring shall be equally divided between my wife and my daughter Elizabeth when she comes to the age of eighteen years.

Eighthly, it is my desire that my son Daniell may have a barrow of two years old and a sow of two years old and corn to make them fat for to purchase him clothes forthwith.

And ninthly, it is my will and desire that those most of my stock in general, both of hogs and cattle, and all my household goods may be equally divided between my wife and children after my just debts are paid. And whereon I have lately purchased of James Mumford fifty acres of land in Charles City County, it is my desire that my son Francis may sell it to help pay my debts.

And lastly, I do hereby constitute and ordain my wife and son Francis my Executrix and Executor to see that my last Will and Testament be performed, and so God rest my soul in heaven whensoever it shall please him to take me out of this mortal life. Given under my hand and seal this second day of November, 1686.

 (seal) Signed and sealed in the presence of us John King Richard Merriwether -l-a Sowersby At a Court held for the County of Surry, July 5, 1687. The above said proved in Court by the oaths of the Witnesses and a probate granted the Executors.

(seal) W. Edwards, County Clerk Recorded W.E. County Clerk

Happy Researching!
Karen
**Thanks to my good friend Michael Reck for the Clipart featured above!

No comments: