Follow Me on Pinterest
Follow miprofgenie on Twitter

29 July 2011

Let's See You Do This....

Lately I've been hearing this more & more.  To be honest it really grates me when I hear it.  I hate it when I hear someone say, "I'm all done with my genealogy."  And I always ask "Really?"  And 99.9% of the time I hear, "yeah I traced my dad's line all the way back to  ___Insert some royalty lineage here__________."

Several times I've asked why they only did the male line and I get some stupid response like, "..its the name I wear so I figure its the one that counts"...  or some other dumb response like that. 

Have you told your mom how you feel?  Geesh!  I don't mean to be nasty or anything but did it ever cross your mind that maybe just maybe if good old mom hadn't been around you wouldn't be around? 

Somehow just tracing the male line only back makes absolutely no sense to me, after all it does take two right?  Maybe I'm missing something here.  Maybe if one of my followers is a "male line only" researcher you can explain it to me?   My dad was an awesome man - but my mom rocks too!  Her line, in my opinion is just as important to me as my dad's line. 

Are you a "male line only researcher?"  Can you explain the thought process behind the idea, cause I'd really love to hear someone who makes sense explain it to me.  After all, it did take two to get you here right??

Happy Researching!
Karen

4 comments:

Claudia said...

A lot of people probably only research the male line because it takes much less time and effort than the mysteries of searching the female line.

Karen K said...

I'm pretty sure you are right about that Claudia! But that female line adds SO much fun to the hunt!

Thanks for commenting!

Unknown said...

I think that because it's the name they grew up with, it has the most meaning to them. It's the family that they identify as personally.

Folks not experienced in genealogy might not fully understand how connected they really are to the other branches of their tree. I've offered to start family trees for friends by asking for parent's names. About 75% of the time they give their mom's name as her married name and have to think a second to come up with their maiden name.

Annmarie said...

I actually started with my maternal grandmother's mother's side because I had more information, tried to go back as far as I could then worked on her father's side for awhile.