Follow Me on Pinterest
Follow miprofgenie on Twitter

19 September 2011

Amanuensis Monday - Will of William Ward (1835)

   The image below is very faint, but its the best I could get.  If you find you are related and want a copy I can make you a copy off the one I found at the North Carolina State Archives.
   This William Ward is my 6th great grandfather.  He was born 1753, died 1836 in Sampson County, North Carolina.  He was married to Mary Bell, daughter of Robert Bell & Katherine Yarbrow.  They were the parents of 8 children:
   Alfred, William, Robert, Nancy, Sophia, Samuel, Nancy J. and Eliza.
William & Mary are buried in the Oak Plains Baptist Church Cemetery, Sampson County, North Carolina.



  In the name of God Amen.  I William Ward of the County of Sampson and State of North Carolina being of sound mind and memory calling to mind the mortality of my body and knowing that is is _________  ______ unto all men to die do make and ordain this my last will and testament. That is to say First I give and bequeath unto my two sons, Alfred Ward and Robert Ward two negroes viz Suckey and Dick to be equally divided between them.
  2nd I give and bequeath unto the heirs of my daughter Sophia White, wife of Mathew White a negro woman called Haannah and her child called Wright which negroes they now have in possession.
  3rd I give and bequeath unto my daughter Nancy Carlton wife of Thomas Carlton a negro woman called Grace which she has in possession.
  4th I give and bequeath unto my son William Ward a negro man called Prister of which he has in possession.
  5th I give and bequeath unto my son Samuel Ward the lands whereon I now live indcluding my houses and plantation, thousehold and kitchen furniture, also my stock of all kinds consisting of hogs, cattle, horses and sheep also all moneys, notes, bords or _______  of which may be __________  at the time of my decease.  I further give to my son Samuel the following negroes viz: Sam, Charles, Joc and __________ out of which I request him to pay my debts and legacies.
   6th I give and bequeath unto Nancy Jane Evans, wife of William Evans the sum of fifty dollars.
  7th I give and bequeath unto Elizal Matilda Merritt one bed and furniture.
   And hereby make and ordain my sons Alfred and Robert Executors of this my last will and Testament. In witness hereof I the said William Ward have hereunto set my hand and seal the 26th day of July A.D. 1835.

                                            HIS
                               William   X    Ward
                                          MARK
  Signed, Sealed & published  declared by said William Ward the testator to be his last will and testament in the presence of us.
    /s/ Robert Harley
   /s/ Asahel Johnson

   STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA  Sampson County  Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions November Term 1836  Then _________  the foregoing Willl duly proven in Open Court by the Oaths of Robert Morley and Asahel Johnson the said subscribing witness and order to be recorded.
    Thomas I. Faisun,  Clerk

No comments: