Follow Me on Pinterest
Follow miprofgenie on Twitter

10 October 2011

Amanuensis Monday - Will of John Acree (1814)

The will of John Acree (1814) was a difficult one to get on here, basically because of the way it was originally written and then later scanned.  Originally written across the page rather than up & down the page it made for complications when copying.  I've presented it here as best as I can.  There is some overlap on the pages so keep that in mind when viewing.  Remember that clicking on the image will open in a larger window, the browsers back button will bring you back here.

John is believed to be the son of William Acree.  John was born ca1739 in Hanover County, Virginia. He was married to Patience and together they were the parents of eight children, all named in the will you see here.  The children were: Elizabeth, Edward, John, William, Leonard, Henley, Nancy & Patience. 

John's will was signed March 17, 1814 and proven in court during the August term of 1814. 





In the name of God Amen. I, John Acree being of sound mind memory and understanding, for which I now devoutly thank my God. Make and ordain this my last will and testament in manner and form following viz:
  1st I lend unto my beloved wife Patience Acree the land and plantation whereon I now reside, two Negroes named Minor and Sealy, all my househood and kitchen furniture her choice of my horses and once cow and calf during her natural life.  

2nd I lend unto my beloved daughter Elizabeth Vears after the death of myself and wife the land and plantation wheras we now reside during her lifetime.  I give and bequeth said  land and plantation to the heirs naturally begotten of her body.  
3rd I lend unto my beloved son Leonard Acree the track or parcel of land beginning at two Gums north spring of Cashie swamp then along a line marked trees to a  corner a dogwood then along  marked line of trees to a corner  Oak and then along a line of marked trees to a pine Christopher Harrell corner then along said Harrell's line to corner in Cashie swamp then up said swamp to the first station during his natural life. It is my wish and desire that the said tract or parcel of land be equally divided between his two sons.
  4th I give and bequeth unto my beloved son Henry Acree a certain tract of parcel of land begining at a white oak and maple, on the then along that line of marked trees to a corner a pine then along a line of marked trees to  a corner, to a mulberry tree in the old field. then along a line of marked trees to a corner a pine then along a line of marked trees to acorner and oak and pine then along a line of marked trees to Christopher Harrells's corner, a pine then down Hobbs line to his corner in Cashies swamp. Then up the said swamp to the North of Dan Branch then up said branch to the first station to him and his heirs forever.
  5th I give and bequeth unto my beloved son William Acree a certain track or parcel of land begining at William grandberry's Corner then south along of Cashies swamp running down the swamp to the mouth of the damn branch then up the said branch to a Maple and two oaks a corner then along a line of marked trees to a corner and sweet gum tree then along a line of marked trees to a corner two pines then along another line of marked tree's to William Granberry's corner on Samuel Granberry's line to him and his heirs forever.
  6th I give and bequeth unto the heirs of my son Edward, dec'd two hundred dollars.
  7th I give and bequeth unto my gradnson Jeremiah Itcutt Two hundred dollars.
  8th I give and bequeth unto my grand daughter Patience Dukes two hundred dollars.
   9th I give and bequeth unto my beloved son, John Acree Five Hundred dollars.

10th I give and bequeth unto my beloved Daughter, Nancy Five hundred dollars. 
11th I give and bequeth unto my beloved duaghter Patience one negro girl named Lacy during her natural life I give and bequeth said negro girl to her heirs lawfully begotten of her body. 
12 It is my wish and desire that the remainder of my estate not given away be sold , my just debts paidand the balance equally divided between my son John, William, Henry, and Leonary and my daughters Patience, Elisabeth and Nancy.  
Lastly I constitute and appoint my trusty friend Thomas Norfleet and William Hinton executors. this my last will and testament, in witness whereof I heruntto set my hand this 17th day of March 1814.  John X  Acree 

No comments: