Follow Me on Pinterest
Follow miprofgenie on Twitter

17 October 2011

Amanuensis Monday - Will of John Acree (1825)

  This is the will of John Acree.  Last week (10/10) I did a will for his father, John Acree. Since I have never in this line seen the terms Jr. or Sr. associated with them I am not going to use those terms.  John Acree wrote this will  28 FEB 1825 and it was proven in the May Term of 1825.

  John was married to Milly, whose surname remains unknown at this time.  They were the parents of at least eight children - Elizabeth, Jacob/Joab, Hardin, Patience, Arilly/Milly, John, Nancy and Sarah.

   The transcription is shown as it is in the original with no grammar or spelling corrections.  Clicking on the image will open a larger view, using your browsers back button will return you here.

   The final page of this will really makes this will a standout in my files.  Never before have I seen this sort of "doodling".  I've seen lots of squiggles and wiggles but never faces on the pages of wills and other legal documents from this time frame.  I've included it in hopes you'll enjoy looking as much as I did. Don't know who the faces are supposed to represent but they are here.  Enjoy!



Bertie County In the Name of God Amen, I John Acre, being in perfect mind and memory do make and ordain this my last will and testament in manner & form following (viz)
1st - I give and bequeath unto my wife Milly, my grey mare side saddle and bridle, four cows and valves, one four year old steer, one feather bed and furniture, two sows and ten shoats One house pig, three hudnred pounds of bacon, thirty pounds of lard twelve barrels corn, all the fodder at Luke Parkers, one pine chest, one trunk all the earthen and crockery ware, one Iton pot, five bee hives, all the spun cotton, flax and glare (?) all the cotten that is not picked four chairs one pine table all of this I give and bequeath unto her and her heirs forever.
2nd - I give unto my daughter Elizabeth Pierce the sum of one dollar to her and her heirs forever.
3rd - I wish the residue of my estate after my just debts are all paid to be sold and equally divded between John B. Acre, Nancy Cooper, Sarah ACre, Joab C. Acre, Hardy H. Acre, Patience Acre, Marmaduke Harrell and Amilly Harrell to them and their heirs forever.
4th - I will appoint my wife Milly and Jn. B. Acre as Executrix and Executor to this my last will and testament, in testimony of all which I have hereunto set my hand and seal this the 28 day of FEB A.D. 1825.
/s/ John Acre (Seal)
Signed and Acknowledged in presence of us Johnston Higgs, Abner Jenkins

No comments: