Follow Me on Pinterest
Follow miprofgenie on Twitter

01 March 2012

Tricks & Tips Thursday

We live in a very mobile society.  With the creation of phones and other portable devices that are made to make your on the go life much easier, it seems we are always in touch.  I personally seem to have my laptop with me 99.9% of the time when I go out.  If its not my laptop its my iPad.  My phone is always with me. 

Because of all this mobility it makes it easy to make good use of your time.  Due to the amount of information processing I do - whether census, photo's or just data entry of things I want added to my data base, I've found an easy way to work on the go.

Over the past few months, as I was undergoing the great office/desk clean up, as I found things I wanted added to my data base,  I scanned them to my thumb/flash drive.  I have several that I keep laying around "just in case".   I designated one a "to do" drive.  On it are documents, photo's and such that I've scanned but I know are not named, edited or linked. 

I keep it with my laptop and when I know I'm going somewhere that may have a wait, whether 20 minutes or an hour, I take it with me.  There are days when I pick my grandsons up from school or wait for the bus to drop the oldest one off.  I go and sit and wait with the laptop and my drive and I edit and name photo's and documents.  When I go to my desktop again I simply pull out the flash/thumb drive and move the photo's to the directory where they belong and link.   I wasn't bored and I something got accomplished. WIN!

Happy Researching!
Karen

1 comment:

Michelle Goodrum said...

Fabulous! That is an idea I am going to have to copy. Thank you for the tip!