19 September 2012

Wedding Wednesday - Meads & Moyer (1946)


Meads-Moyer Vows Exchanged in Church Rite

Miss June Moyer, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Robert C. Moyer of 3930 Tacoma Avenue, became the bride of Howard E. Meads, son of Mrs. I. A. Meads of 1005 West Wayne Street in a double ring ceremony read at 2 o’clock Sunday afternoon, December 23, at the South Wayne United Brethren Church.

Dr. M. S. Livengood read the vows before an altar decorated with candelabra and evergreen trees similar arrangements marked the pews.  

Preceding the service, a musicale was presented by Miss Dorothy Koomjohn, organist, and Mrs. Robert Hoagland, vocalist. Selections included “Because,” “At Dawning,” and “The Lord’s Prayer.”
The bride, given in marriage by her father chose a gown of white fashioned with a sweetheart neckline and long sleeves.  The fitted bodice of satin was trimmed with crystal beading, with tiny buttons fastening the back.  Her full net skirt over satin fell into a long train and her fingertip length veil was caught in a cap of white lace held in place by a bow of lace. The bridal bouquet t was a cascade of white roses and satin ribbon.

Miss Sylvia Sholty attended as maid of honor, wearing a dress of yellow net styled with a fitted bodice of taffeta, bracelet length sleeves and a full skirt.  She carried a colonial bouquet of light pink carnations and white mums, tied with a bow of pink, and wore matching flowers in her hair.  Miss Velma Meads, sister of the bride-groom, served as bridesmaid, attired in a gown of light orchid net fashioned with short sleeves and a long full skirt.  Her colonial bouquet of deep pink carnations and mums was tied with a bow of orchids and her headdress was of matching flowers.

The bride’s mother wore a brown dress and matching accessories and the bridegroom’s mother chose a black dress and black accessories. Each wore a corsage of carnations.

A reception was held later at the home of the bride’s parents, where a table was laid with cream lace and centered with a three-layered wedding cake flanked by candelabra. Ivory tapers stood at either end of the buffet, which was decorated with arrangements of white mums and snapdragons, red carnations being used in the other rooms. 

Mrs. Elmer Bidlack, Mrs. Clarence Stowe, Mrs. George Karns and Mrs. Sam Kwainez assisted in serving.

Source: Journal-Gazette (Ft Wayne, IN) 21 JAN 1946
[Provided by co-contributor Jim Cox]

No comments: