Follow Me on Pinterest
Follow miprofgenie on Twitter

08 May 2009

In Honor Of Mom's Everywhere....


I started thinking about mother's day a few days ago. How can you not with all the advertising about making mom feel special on her special day blah blah blah...

Why can't we make mom feel special all year long? Why do we need a special day? Isn't she good enough to do something nice every now & then without everyone spending tons of money on one "special" day? Anyway, off that soapbox.

But I still want to talk about mom's & genealogy.

SO many times I hear people say "I've finished my family genealogy"... I must admit when they say things like that I do the spock thing, you know, the one eyebrow gets slightly elevated above the other? I do raise an eyebrow, okay, sometimes I raise two eyebrows. I know what's coming...

I chased the male line back - you know, my father's line. Like that's the only line that matters? HELLO? Did you sleep thru high school biology? IT TAKES TWO.... sure you carry your father's name - but hey! Where would he be without MOM... without her there are NO offspring.. like it or not pal, its the truth. He NEEDS HER. I don't consider myself a feminist at all. But I do believe in honesty and truth -- and saying that the male line is the only line that matters is pure and simple BUNK! Yep, that's what I said. After all, last time I checked the maternity wards were NOT filled with MEN IN LABOR... think about it!

Recently I saw a book about researching your female lines and it was called, "Researching the Hidden Half of the Family". That sure puts in perspective eh? Many mom's are the hidden half of the family, and it becomes even more apparent when people give me that "...male line is the only one that counts..." snot. I think the truth is they are afraid to chase the female lines. Afraid it might be harder than they are cut out to handle. Well if you think researching female lines are hard - try 23 hours of labor and natural child birth. I'll show you hard.

Happy Mother's day to all the mom's out there...

No comments: