Follow Me on Pinterest
Follow miprofgenie on Twitter

22 February 2010



She was born Pauline Melzina Kreitzer, Feb 22, 1912, in Miamisburg, Montgomery County, Ohio, the daughter of George Oscar Kreitzer & his wife, Flora May Boomershine, but I knew her as grandma.

She loved animals & sewing - known at church for her desserts & her meatloaf. She could sew anything including most of her clothes and many of ours. She lived next door to us while we were growing up - it was great having a grandmother next door. She taught me to sew, to love plants & flowers - and to cook. I have her sewing machine - and many of her recipes as well. My memories are of her working in her flowers, tending them as though they were her babies. She didn't mind letting a 9 year old learn to sew on her machine, she was always there to help fix it when I had no clue. Every Saturday afternoon she washed the family car while grandpa napped. Something to do with having a clean car to drive to church on Sunday morning.

On Nov. 11, 1933 she married Raymond W. Phillips in Union County, Indiana. They raised five children together: Phyllis, Richard, Carolyn, Herman & Gary.

Everytime I pull out my sewing machine or make one of her recipes I think of her. I don't know when the above photo was taken, I am going to guess probably in her high school years. Its one of my favorites of her.

Happy Birthday grandma!

Today is "Relatively Speaking - Cousins Who Blog" over at Anne's place. Stop on in for a read.

Happy Researching!
Karen

No comments: