Follow Me on Pinterest
Follow miprofgenie on Twitter

27 March 2010

Okay.. Maybe I was hoping...

Maybe, just maybe I was hoping that Ancestry would over do it with the new series it has out, Who Do You Think You Are? I was really concerned that by doing this show it would be one big commercial for Ancestry.

Okay, maybe I was wrong. I don't say that very often & usually only when I think I really did screw up.

I finally got to watch last night, Mathew Broderick was the subject. I was impressed with the amount of actual records shown. Disappointed that I have never been able to locate some of the things he was able to find, but happy to see that they did use the actual records & not just some listings off Ancestry.

The only time I saw Ancestry used was the one time they used the computer to pull up a census record on Ancestry. On all the other records he was doing hands on research. I was glad to see his reactions & the sincerity he seemed to reflect upon hearing the things about his ancestors that they found.

Okay, maybe I was wrong THIS TIME. It was a good way to spend a Friday evening. Looking forward to the next one - now to find a way to watch the ones I missed. Someone sent me a link for watching them online... now.... to find the time. Oh yeah, wipe that silly smirk off your face, I only said I was wrong this once!

Happy Researching!
Karen

2 comments:

Anne Percival Kruszka said...

Ya know, I've really been impressed by it too. You can watch previous ones on nbc.com, look for the show. Well worth it.

Karen Packard Rhodes said...

You are not the only one who was skeptical -- maybe it comes with the name Karen! Heehee!

I have also been surprised and pleased.