Follow Me on Pinterest
Follow miprofgenie on Twitter

26 September 2011

Amanuensis Monday - Will of Jacob Langston (1784)

The images below are for the will of Jacob Langston, my 8th great grandfather. Jacob's will is signed Dec. 25, 1794 in Wayne County, North Carolina. The copies are from the North Carolina State Archives, May 2011. The will has been transcribed exactly as it appears on the paper copies. No corrections are made in grammer, spelling or punctuation. Clicking on the image will open a larger image in a new window. Use your browswers back button to return to GFOM.




The Last Will & Testament of Jacob Langston

Wayne   County , North Carolina
December 25, 1784

Jacob  Langston, of the state of North Carolina and county of Wayne being in a tolerably state of health and of a sound perfect mind and memory thanks be given to Almighty God for perfect mind and memory thanks be given to the same but calling to mind the mortality of my body and knowing it is appointed for all men once to die do constitute make and ordain this my last will and testament in manner and form following.  and first of all I  commend my soul into the hands of the Lord that gave it me and my body I recommend to the earth to be decently buried at the discretion of my executors hereafter named nothing doubting but at the general resurrection I shall receive the same again by the mighty power of God and as touching such worldly estate as God of his mercy hath blessed me within this life I do give and dispose of the same in the following manner viz
 
first my will and desire is that all my just debts and funeral charges be cleared and discharged 

Item I give and bequeath to my son George Langston five shilling spacy and all the lands where dwell belonging to me to him and the heirs lawfully begotten of his body forever

 Item I give and bequeath to my son Absalom Langston one featherbed and furniture and my (?Working clothes)

Item I give and bequeath to my daughter Martha (Daughtrey)five shillings spacie

 Item I give and  bequeath to my daughter Lydda Ginn five shillings spacie

Item I do give and bequeath to my daughter Mary  Langston five shillings spacie

Item I do give and bequeath to my grandson Levi  Langston 50 acres of land lying between John Thompson and John Herrings on Stoney Creek

Item I also lend to my son Masey  Langston the labour of my two negroes ten years if kept as they have been and then to his two children  and all the rest of my estate as I have not given away befour to my son a man.  

Item I do appoint my friend David Jernigan & my son Masey  Langston executors of this my last will and testament and do hereby utterly revoke disannul and make void all and every other former will or wills heretofore by me made ratifying and confirming this and no other to be my last will and testament in witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and fixt my seal this 25th day of December in the year of our lord one thousand seven hundred and eighty four

Sealed ? ?   the testator as his last will and testament in presence of us who in   presence of each other hath hereuntofore subscribed our names               Jacob X  Langston
Thompson X Boyle
Isack X  Hutson      

No comments: