Follow Me on Pinterest
Follow miprofgenie on Twitter

31 October 2011

Amanuensis Monday - Will of Isaac Metcalf (1825)

Compiler's note: All wills, deeds, obits etc shown on this blog are not edited or corrected in anyway. They are transcribed and saved in my files exactly as presented in the original document. Corrections may be done in an afternote or comment field.

 


I Isaac Metcalf of the County of Hopkins State of Kentucky do hereby make my last will and testament in a manner and form following that is to say


1st I give to my wife Polly Metcalf during her life or widowhood six slaves to wit: one woman named Nancy, one boy named Joacob, one Jeremiah, one Charles, one Gilbert and a girl named Rachel. After death or marriage I wish the aforesaid slaves to descend to my four children by her _______, Lititia Jane, _________. Richard Montgomery and Nancy P. to be equally divided amongst them.

2nd I give to my wife forever the property to wit, One sorel mare and colt, one plow and two good hogs and one good _________ four cows calves and twenty head of stock hogs, six head of sheep and all the household and kitchen furniture __________ three good beds and bedsteads with their furniture and ________ of ________ grain and for the support of herself and family six months after my decease and all the poultry.

3rd Whereas my daughter Sinthia Metcalf, Grace _________ and Sally Davis having heretofore received their portion I leave them nothing of my present estate.

4th I give my son Isaac G. Metcalf two slaves one named Lon and the other Sa_______, one bed, bedstead and furniture.

5th I give to my son John J. Metcalf two slaves one named Squire and the other Benjamin and the Sto__________ and saddle which be now claiming and one bed, bedstead and furniture to be put in his possession immediately after my decease.

6th I give to my son William I. Metcalf three slaves one a woman named Silva and her child Lucy, and a boy named James and a colt and a saddle that be _________ __________ and bed, bedstead and furniture the cold bedand furniture to be put in his possession immediatley after my decease the slaves when he arrives at 18 years of age.

7th I give to my wife possession of this house in which I now reside and the field called the Old Mill Field for the term of six years if she remains a widow.

8th I give to my son John Megcalf and WIlliam Metcalf the plantation whereon I now reside to be equally divided between them giving John immediate possession of his part and the care and control of the part that is alloted to William until he arrives at eighteen years of age.

9th I desire that all my estate (except that which is herein otherwise disposed of) be immediately sold after my decease and and out of the money arising there from all my just debts and funeral expenses be paid, then my desire is that the residue be divided amongst my children to wit; Isaac G., John J., William J., Ila(?)., and Richard M. Metcalffiving Ila and Richard one half more than the rest.

And lastly I do hereby constitute and appoint my friend ______ -________ ________ and Eli Bishop executioners of this my last will and Testament hereby revoking all other or former wills or testaments by me heretofore made.

In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this 30th day of March 1835.

William Bishop Simpson Isaac Metcalf T. Galloway Edward ( X) Ridley (seal)

No comments: