29 August 2012

Wedding Wednesday - Boxberger & Ayers (1937)


Married Recently

 
Miss Lucille Dolorous Boxberger, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. L. A. Boxberger, 3232 South Harrison Street, recently became the bride of Mr. Gerald Albert Ayers, son of Mr. and Mrs. William Ayers, 2907 Winter Street.  The ceremony took place at 9 o’clock last Saturday morning in St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, with the Rev. Lawrence D. Monahan reading the nuptial high mass.

The bride, who was given in marriage by her father, chose for her wedding a gown fashioned of heavy bridal satin in Empire mode and enhanced only by seed pearls, which outlined the heart-shaped neck line and bordered the high placed fullness of the leg o’ mutton sleeves. The fullness of the beautiful lace veil was held in place by a halo adorned with seed pearls and rhinestones, and the fullness followed the lines of the satin beyond the end of the graceful train. The bride wore white satin sandals and she carried a large shower bouquet combining white bride’s roses and swansonia. She wore a gold cross and chain, a gift of the bridegroom.

Miss Dorothy Boxberger attended her sister as maid of honor. The bridesmaids were Miss Ruth Laney and Miss Carolyn Larson.  Miss Boxberger’s dress was of yellow net over satin, with matching accessories. Her bouquet was of Briarcliff roses and yellow snapdragons. Miss Larson’s gown was of aqua blue organdie with matching accessories.  Her bouquet was of Briarcliff roses and delphinium.  Miss Lancy’s gown was pale pink chiffon with matching hat and sandals.  Her bouquet was of Briarcliff roses and pink snapdragons.

The little flower girl, Miss Joan Schmitt, small cousin of the bride and daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Schmitt, was dressed all in white and wore in her hair a bandeau of white daisies. She carried a French basket from which she scattered white rose petals in the path of the bride. The attendants wore crosses, gifts from the bride. Mr. Vernon Russell Ayers attended his brother as best man and the ushers were Mr. Warren Geise and Mr. William Tilker.

Mrs. Boxberger, mother of the bride, chose for her gown a navy blue redingote with white accessories. A corsage of roses and snapdragons adorned her shoulder. Mrs. Ayers, mother of the bridegroom, wore white with a corsage of roses.

A wedding dinner was served at the Catholic Community Center for twenty guests, and a reception was held later in the afternoon. The ornament topping the wedding cake was 45 years old.

Source: Journal-Gazette (Ft Wayne, IN) 18 JUN 1937
[Provided by co-contributor Jim Cox]

No comments: