Follow Me on Pinterest
Follow miprofgenie on Twitter

18 October 2012

Giving Back

The other day I was thinking about all the great things that have taken place in my "genealogical life" and I how lucky I am to have had so many great things transpire over the years.

So many great people reaching out to help me when I first started out, people who took the time to answer my dumb questions, people who shared their information with me, people who took the time to explain how to use readers, how to use soundex and the list goes on and on.

Remember when you were a newbie?  When you had no clue what that strange piece of equipment did or how to use it?  I'm a firm believer in what goes around comes around or as some like to call it Karma.  But I also believe that you have to give back.

Taking the time to help someone who obviously is in need of some assistance, someone to show them a few simple helps.  When we all work together things progress at a much faster and sometimes smoother pace.  That's why its important to give back.

Perhaps you could do some indexing for your society or for Family Search?  Perhaps volunteer at your local library or get involved in your Genie society?  Its important to give back, when you give back not only does the society or organization you help win, but you win!

Won't you please think about it?  Thanks...

1 comment:

GrannyPam said...

Thanks for the great reminder, Karen. I have learned more, gained more and connected more since I became active in my genealogy society.