Follow Me on Pinterest
Follow miprofgenie on Twitter

01 November 2010

Military Monday - Revolutionary War Pension - Mandley Winstead (1760-1846)

 This is page 23 of the Revolutionary War pension file of Mandley Winstead.  The pension file actually contains over 200+ pages of testimony & information.  Well worth looking into if you are a descendant.

He was the son of Samuel Winstead (1723-1806) & his wife, Elizabeth Jones (1723-1812).  One of nine children born to the couple.  He married three times:
  • Elizabeth Tapp (1769-1808), marr 1785, had 7 issue
  • Elizabeth Cox (1794-1818), marr 1809, had 3 issue
  • Amy Brown (1770-1857), marr 1821, no issue
His will was signed on 13 July 1833 in Hopkins County, Kentucky and was proven in January Court 1850, Hopkins County, Kentucky.  (note: no spelling or gramar errors were corrected during the typing of this will.  It has been transcribed exactly as found in court documents.)

In the name of God Amen



I Mandley Winstead of Hopkins County and the State of Kentucky being of sound mind and disposing memory but calling to mind that it is appointed once for man to die, do therefore proceed to make this my last Will and Testament in manner and form as followeth, to wit, My body I resign to its mother dust when it may please God to remove my spirit and my soul I bequeath to God who gave it hoping to participate with him in the hapiness of Heaven where he dwelleth.


As to my property I make the following disposition,


First I give and bequath to my beloved wife Amy Winstead all the property of every description which she had in possession at the time I married her consisting of one tract of land in Hopkins County on Bull Creek containing one hundred and seventy acres and one negro man named Bob and one boy named Henry and two feather beds and furniture and one common work horse and one cow and calf also two breeding sows and barrows other articles of less value and may be known by the families as her former property also one full year's provisions for my said wife.


Secondly I give and direct one hundred dollars to be paid out of my estate to each of my son Mandley Winstead's two sons whose names are not known to me.


Thirdly I give and bequath my lower tract of land attached to the tract of which I now live containing two hundred twenty two and one half acres to my sons Bushard D. Winstead and Charles T, Winstead to be equally divided by a line running east and west. Charles T. Winstead to have the part on which he now lives and Bushard D, Winstead the other part.


Fourthly , I give and bequath to my two sons William M. Winstead and Pleasant B. Winstead the tract of land on which I now live containing one hundred ninety five acres to be divided between them as they may agree.


Fifthly Now in as much as I give all the land I own to my four sons above named my will and direction is that each of them pay one hundred dollars to the estate to enable me to do equal justice to my other children that get no land.


Sixthly I have heretofore given my son Bushard D. Winstead one negro girl named Parthema worth two hundred dollars I have also given my son Charles T. Winstead one negro boy named Beverly worth three hundred dollars I have also given my Daughter Sally Cox one negro boy named Alfred worth two hundred and fifty dollars I have also given my daughter Elizabeth Weir one hundred and twenty dollars


I also have given my daughter Anna Yarbrough one hundred and twenty dollars, I have also given my daughter Jane Cox one hundred and twenty dollars now my will and direction is the price or value fixed upon the three negroes above named and the money above given namd be paid or divided among my first six children, to wit , Elizabeth Weir, Anna Yarbrough, Bushard D. Winstead, Jane Cox, Sally Cox, and Charles T. Winstead so each may have the same amount of the other.


Seventhly I give and bequath to my daughter Elizabeth Weir during her life and at her death the heirs of her body, Bushard D. Winstead, Anna Yarbrough during her life and at her death the heirs of her body, Jane Cox, Sally Cox, and Charles T. Winstead a certain negro man Jack, a negro Woman named Kesiah, a Negro boy named Daniel, and a negro girl namd Eliza to be equally divided among my said children as they may see fit.


Eighthly All my negroes with their increase not here before namd and disposed of I give and bequath to all of my children namely Elizabeth Weir during her life and at her death to her children, Bushard D. Winstead, Anna Yarbrough during her lifetime and at her death to her children, Jane Cox, Sally Cox, Charles T. Winstead, William M. Winstead, Pleasant B. Winstead to be equally divided between them all as they may see fit.


Ninthly I give and bequath all my personal estate consisting of stock, horses, cattle, sheep, hogs, household furniture, farming utensils and all and every species of property not herein before named and disposed of to my eight children above named.


Tenthly I nominate and appoint my son Charles T. Winstead to execute this my last will and Testament acknowledged and signed this 13th day of July eighteen hundred an thirty-three.

Test /s/Mandley Winstead


/s/ James W. Williams


/s/ Jas Metcalf Kentucky


Hopkins County January County Court 1850


This instrument of writing was this day produced in Court and proved to be the last will and Testament of Mandley Winstead deceased by the oath of James W. Williams a subscribing witness thereto, said witness also deposed that Jas Metcalf the other subscribing witness thereto resides in the State of Illinois and that the signature purporting to be his as a witness thereto was genuine.


Whereupon the same was ordered to be recorded as the last will and Testament of Mandley Winstead Dec'd which is done accordingly


/s/ Att Sam Woodson Clk
 
No headstone has been located for Mandley or any of his wives as of this writing.  He was the 5th great grandfather to Mark.  If you are a descendant of Mandley & have further information to share on his descendants or if you have photo's of anyone in this descendant line - I'd love to hear from you.  You can just leave a comment on the blog or you may contact me directly at my email karenATmiprofgenieDOTcom
 
Happy Researching!
Karen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi...I'm new to genealogy, but I am a descendent of Samuel Winstead II b1701 & Winnefred Brown Vanlandingham b1754. Hopefully, one day I'll have something to share w/ you. Thanks for creating your blog :-D

Debbie Burton-Porter
Poway, California
d.porter1@cox.net