George Gates, died October 22, near Lewisburg, age 67 years 9 months, 5 days. Born in Adams Co., Pennsylvania in 1810, emigrated to Ohio in 1827. Married Feb. 13, 1840. Had 9 children. Totally blind for 4 years. Buried at Lewisburg.
[This "obit" was found in my obits in an email letter. Email address is no longer working. So I typed as given to me. Actual obit needs to be found. I suspect a Preble County, Ohio paper?]
From the Dayton Daily Journal, Nov. 2, 1877, Pg. 1, Col. 6:
"GATES, Near Lewisburg, Preble County, Ohio, Oct. 22, 1877. Mr. George Gates, Aged 67 years 9 months 5 days."
George Gates is my fourth great grandfather, and I'd love to know who his parents were. Maybe you can help me? The obits above give a very general view of what I know about George. So let me give you some more facts.
- Born according to calculations etc on 17 JAN 1810, in Adams County, Pennsylvania if you believe what is in that newspaper blurb.
- Married 13 FEB 1840, in Preble County, Ohio to Luezer Fowler, daughter of Joseph Fowler. And yes, that's really her name and its even on her headstone spelled exactly like that!
- They were the parents of nine children all living to adulthood -
- Hannah Angeline Gates - married Levi Kesler (my ancestors)
- Mary Jane (Minerva) - married John Parks
- Oliver Clinton - married three times, Rebecca J. Bantz, Sarah Wilkinson and Amanda House
- Elzina Mariah - married Stephen Minton Parks
- Francis Marion - married Samantha Swihart
- George Ferdinand - married Elmire Isabell Richards
- Mary Isabella - never married
- Martin Inman - married Malinda J. Beam
- Elmira Melissa - married Mr.Horn
- George died, according to all accounts, 22 OCT 1877, Harrison Township, Preble County, Ohio. He was followed on 09 JUL 1889 by his wife, Luezer. They are buried together in Roselawn Cemetery, Lewisburg, Preble County, Ohio. Luezer died of Dropsy. George's cause of death is currently unknown.