Follow Me on Pinterest
Follow miprofgenie on Twitter

23 September 2014

Tombstone Tuesday - Forgive & Forget - Doesn't Appear So!

Headstone Ann Margaret "Martha" Cook
1774-1863

  The headstone of my 5th great grandmother, Ann Margaret "Martha" Cook.  She was married to my 5th great grandfather, Christian W. Cook.  I wish I could tell you who her parents were, but I don't know.  

  Margaret dies 13 NOV 1863 at the age of 89 years, 9 months and 2 days.  She rests in Slifers Cemetery, Jackson Township, Montgomery County, Ohio.  Her husband, Christian rests in an unmarked grave next to her (according to the readings I have found).  

 Margaret left a will, dated 21 JUN 1852, Montgomery County Will book Vol. G, Pg 17.  In it she names her children - Ann Margaret, Henry, Frederick, Elizabeth (heirs of),  Mary (heirs of), John (Heirs of), Sarah, Christina and Michael.  She names one other daughter, Catherine Cook Boomershine, but leaves her and her family only $1 in her will.  

I believe the following had something to do with that decision:
  "Boomershine, Abraham & wife, Catherine vs Margaret Cook et al 28 MAR 1849. Petition for partition for 1/10th share of SE 1/4 S23 T4 R4 -160 acres owned by Christian Cook dec'd. in Jackson Twp. Left widow Ann Margaret......."

Seems Margaret didn't take lightly to that little challenge and didn't forget about it either!  I wanted the paper to prove the relationship but I'd rather have found it shown in other ways!  

No comments: